The word SCUBA is an Acronym-here are many more great ones
If you spend much time texting with a teenager or young adult you most likely received a message that was filled with acronyms that you may or may not understand the meaning of. I typically reply back, with something that I know is wrong, just to get my kids to spell out the full meaning.
A recent exchange with my son went like this:
- Son: Dad did you see that such and such died
- Me: Yes I did, sad isn’t it
- Son: IKR
- Me: Let Kings Run? Why did you type that?
- Son: No- it means I know, right
- Me: LOL
That exchange made me wonder what other acronyms or abbreviations are being used and do you know the meaning? Here is the list I have put together:
- TL DR- means Too long; didn’t read. This is one I could use for many work emails.
- LOL- Laugh out Loud, typically a phrase used in text about something funny
- ROTFLMAO- is something that is REALLY funny. Spelled out is says Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A** Off.
- BRB- Be right back, another use of text when you are communicating with someone and have to put your phone down for a short while.
- EOD- another work related acronym that means End of Day or COD, close of day. Unfortunately COD also stands for Cash on delivery so it can be quite confusing at times.
- TBD- can be used in several ways and means To Be Determined. Date and time of the rematch is TBD
Others that you may not know about:
- SCUBA- Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus
- ATM- Automated Teller machine
- SEAL- as in Navy Seal, Sea, Air, and Land
- PIN- Personal Identification Number
- FIFA- Federation International of Football Association
- AFLAC- American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus
- GEICO- Government Employees Insurance Company
- MANG- MT Air National Guard
- AAA- American Automobile Association
- GOAT- Greatest of All Time
- YAHOO- Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle
- IBM- International Business Machines
- MAGIE- A favorite of mine- Montana Agricultural Industrial Exhibit
- LASER- Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
- NASA- National Aeronautics and Space Agency
What other Acronyms do you use or know of that should be on the list?
If you have a story idea or something you want to learn more about, give Randy a call at 406-788-3003 or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaking of unique words- take a look at this list that was put together by Tammie Toren: